Blue Mountains Lithgow & Oberon Tourism (BMLOT) has today taken the extraordinary step of recommending to tourism operators to tell visitors not to come to the Blue Mountains region for the time being.
Tourism in the Blue Mountains on hold.
Blue Mountains Lithgow & Oberon Tourism (BMLOT) chairman Randall Walker has taken the extraordinary step of recommending to tourism operators to tell visitors not to come to the Blue Mountains region for the time being.
Further updates will follow.
BMLOT has recommended to accommodation providers that bookings be deferred.
"The risks we face over the coming days should not be underestimated," he said.
"It is our paramount mission to ensure that no visitors to our region are injured due to bushfires."
Mr Walker said that members of the tourism industry, which was one of the major employers of the region, had been among the approximately 200 families who had lost their homes including a BMLOT director, tourism business owners and staff.
In the Lithgow area, Zig Zag Railway had also lost assets.
"We also express our deep thanks to all volunteers fighting the bushfires, protecting lives and property and providing support services, including many tourism industry people," he said.
BMLOT had previously recommended on Sunday to tourism operators including:
- That no bushwalking activities take place and no operators take guests into the bush
- That accommodation providers offer guests a deferred visit option
At this point in time, NPWS and Blue Mountains City Council have closed parks and reserves. Only the major lookouts on the southern side of Wentworth Falls, Leura and Katoomba with vehicular access remain open.
Echo Point Lookout and the Blue Mountains City Council Visitor Information Centres at Echo Point, Katoomba, and Glenbrook also remain open.
Tourism businesses such as Scenic World in the popular villages of Wentworth Falls, Leura and Katoomba remain open for visitors and are on standby for an escalation of fire threat.
News Alert - Blue Mountains Fires
23 October 2013