Held over two weeks around Easter, Australia’s largest annual event celebrates a rich and varied culture – the one time of the year when the nation’s most international city returns to its roots, honouring Australia’s country origins and rural traditions.
Reasons to attend
1. When it comes to unique entertainment, the Sydney Royal Easter Show has it all. From traditional favourites, to new events and attractions, the entertainment line-up at the Show will excite both young and old. You won’t want to miss the new evening entertainment program, featuring a dazzling fireworks finale in Spotless Stadium.
2. As one of the top 10 events of its kind in the world, the Sydney Royal Easter Show is a unique mix of competitions and entertainment that can’t be seen together anywhere else on earth.
3. Be part of an unforgettable event which, since 1823, has brought locals and visitors together at one location – Sydney Olympic Park - to witness an amazing range of skills, events and activities which are usually seen only in country Australia.
4. Ever wanted to wash a pig, pet an alpaca, milk a cow, hold a baby duckling or feed a baby lamb? For many, animals are the real stars of the Show. The best way to see all the animal highlights is to follow the Animal Walk. Over 14,000 animals – some which are uniquely Australian – will be competing for a prized Sydney Royal ribbon.
5. Where else are you going to be able witness pig diving, one of the annual favourites, where trained pigs jump off a two-metre ramp into a pool to vast applause from the appreciative audience?
6. A visit to the Sydney Royal Easter Show wouldn’t be complete without seeing the world-renowned District Exhibits in the Woolworths Fresh Food Dome. These towering displays are the largest of their kind with each display containing over 10,000 pieces of fruit, vegetables and grains arranged in spectacular designs.
7. Watch the power, passion and precision as the world’s best axemen and women take part in the largest competition of its kind in the world. Held in a purpose built Woodchop Stadium; this iconic event is one of the most popular attractions at the Sydney Royal Easter Show.
8. Tasty Sydney Royal cheese and deli plates, juicy corn on the cob, the freshest rock oysters and a delicious tub of fruit salad – you can find it all at the Sydney Royal Easter Show. The Woolworths Fresh Food Dome is home to the best Australian honeys and the De Costi Wine and Oyster Bar, where you can see them shuck around 350,000 oysters and serve around 500,000 prawns during the fortnight. Hard core foodies will love the chance to meet the producers, talk to the experts and taste medal-winning produce at the popular Sydney Royal Talk & Taste sessions. Then there are the show food favourites you’ll probably never experience anywhere else, such as Cheese On A Stick (40,000 sold at the 2013 show). Current champion? The Waffle Dog, a hot dog on a stick encased in a waffle batter. Don’t worry, there are lots of healthy snacks, too.
9. Meanwhile, fashionistas should head straight to the Fashion & Style Pavilion, where you’ll find the best in Australian boutique fashions and jewellery as well as locally-made handbags, cosmetics, leather and cashmere.
10. The Sydney Royal Easter Show is home to Australia’s largest fairgrounds, including the Coca-Cola Carnival and Kids Carnival. Thrill-seekers will be spun, flipped and twisted on some of the most exhilarating rides. While the young and young-at-heart can enjoy hours of fun on an array of family-friendly rides.