17 – 25 January 2015
Adelaide and regional South Australia.
Follow the Santos Tour Down Under, the biggest and most prestigious professional cycling race in the region, featuring many of the world's top riders. It winds its way through the picturesque scenery and wonderful vineyards of South Australia.
Reasons to attend
1. Feel the adrenalin rush as the world’s best cyclists speed past you through the streets of Adelaide on the first day of the first race of the 2015 UCI WorldTour season. Tour points are up for grabs as well as the prestige of wearing the leader’s ochre jersey.
2. As the tour follows a stunning route past sparkling beaches, European-style vineyards and historic towns, you have a choice. Join the crowds cheering them on from the sidelines or take up a pre-booked VIP package.
3. The Santos Tour Down Under is more than just a professional race. It’s a cycling carnival, with lots of bike-related events, street parties and opportunities to savour delicious food and wine from South Australia’s celebrated producers.
4. Get on a cycle yourself and take part in the Bupa Challenge Tour. Choose between four ride distances on the fourth stage of the race and enjoy the thrill of conquering the course just hours before the world’s best.
5. You’ve watched them race and marvelled at their speed, strength and spirit. Now rub shoulders with cycling superstars at the Legends' Night Dinner and hear the stories behind their success. Chris Hoy, Eddy Merckx, Bernard Hinault and Cadel Evans are among the heroes honoured in recent years.
6. Rub shoulders with your favourite riders, see the team mechanics at work and enjoy a drink while watching the day’s action on big screens at the Tour Village and Bike Expo. This is the hub of the event and the largest Bike Expo in Australia.
7. Explore the restaurant-packed precincts of Rundle Street and Gouger Street which make vibrant Adelaide a food capital of Australia. Or relax among the small-bar scene thriving on Peel and Leigh Streets.
8. Spend a night or two off the Tour. Major beaches, Barossa wine country, the Adelaide Hills and Fleurieu Peninsula are all less than 30 minutes from Adelaide and offer a different experience as part of the race. The Fleurieu Peninsula has provided a brilliant backdrop to some of the best cycling in the history of the event. Wine, food and the pristine coastline make it one of the most popular destinations in South Australia.
What to look out for
Get the most out of each stage of the tour by using the Detours Down Under online guide. This gives you all the best inside information on the key food, wine and lifestyle experiences on offer along each section of the course.
Start your day with breakfast at the Adelaide Central Markets, the largest undercover fresh produce market in the southern hemisphere. Take in the sights, sounds and smells from more than 80 stalls.
And check out the action at the Hilton Adelaide, opposite the Tour Village. This is where all the teams stay.
How to get there
Santos Tour Down Under is held in Adelaide city and the surrounding regional areas. The various locations around Adelaide stages are easily accessible by walking. Take the hassle out of travelling by booking a place on the spectator coach. The coach departs from the Adelaide Central Bus Station daily and takes you to the start and finish of the regional stages 1 – 5.
For more details