12 – 15 March 2015
Albert Park, Melbourne
Thrill to the roar of the most expensive cars as the world’s finest Formula One drivers race each other around an incomparable lakeside street circuit in Melbourne’s beautiful Albert Park. The location, midway between the towering centre city skyline and Port Phillip Bay, guarantees spectacular TV images – but it’s even better being there.
Reasons to attend
1. Join the most eagerly anticipated race on the Formula One calendar, the season opener. Each March, one of the world’s most glamorous sporting events arrives in Melbourne. Racing’s elite and celebrities alike descend upon Albert Park, with teams and drivers testing their cars for the first time as the world looks on.
Marvel at how a beautiful inner-city park can be transformed into a spectacular, high-octane, high-speed racetrack, one of only five street circuits in the Formula One season.
2. See why so many of the drivers and their teams rate the Australian Grand Prix as a favourite. You’ll love the relaxed atmosphere, spectacular location and smooth operation as much as they do.
Purchase a ticket to the Formula One Paddock Club™, or “Golden Mile”, a world leader in corporate hospitality. Located directly above the team garages and overlooking the pit lane, you get intimate views right into the heart of the adrenalin-charged action. This is where you’ll rub shoulders with celebrities such as John Travolta, Lenny Kravitz and Nicholas Cage, who visited in recent years. The Torque Bar, another corporate-only lounge, is a great vantage point, perfect for watching the cars roar out of the pit lane.
3. Meet fellow fans at the Autograph Stage on the Thursday when the drivers give their highly coveted signatures before Friday’s first practice session.
Head for the Formula One Paddock, where the drivers and teams relax in their hospitality suites between track sessions. Grandstand and corporate ticket holders sometimes get the chance to have a quick chat with the drivers if they wait outside the Paddock entrance.
4. General Admission ticketholders should perch on Brocky’s Hill to experience the full throttle atmosphere of the Grand Prix. From here you can see the cars charge out of turn nine and 10 into one of the longest straights on the course, guaranteeing high speeds.
5. Indulge all your senses. From the smell of burning rubber and the sound of screeching cars to the taste of good champagne, Formula One offers a unique cocktail of sensations.
6. It’s not all about the big race. Over four days, you’ll be able to see V8 Supercars, the Porsche Carrera Cup, historic cars, and precision aerobatics by the Royal Australian Air Force. Stunt shows, rock bands and family entertainment are also in the mix.
7. As Australia’s second largest city, Melbourne is famous for its cuisine, bars and cafes, museums and galleries, shopping and relaxed lifestyle. It has the reputation of being Australia’s most sophisticated city.
What to look out for
If you can only make it to one day of the event, Saturday is a must. With the most on-track racing, including two Formula One sessions, it’s your chance to see everything the event has to offer.
Of all the exclusive parties, the Red Bull Racing season launch party is renowned as the place to be...if you can wrangle an invitation.
Just minutes on foot from Gate One of the Albert Park Grand Prix Circuit is the Middle Park Hotel, which insiders recommend as perfect for a refreshing beverage once the race is won.
How to get there
Three designated Grand Prix tram routes operate during the four days of the event, free to ticket holders. There is also a free bus service from Crown Casino. Taxis and limousines deliver spectators close to various entry points. Walking is another option: Albert Park is only 3km from Melbourne’s CBD.
For more details