Moreton Bay & Islands, QLD
Tangalooma Island Resort is located on Moreton Island, approximately 40 kilometres off the coast of Brisbane.
The Moreton Island National Park covers around 98% of the island. White sandy beaches line the island's ocean side which are ideal for swimming, surfing and fishing. The sheltered western edge is more relaxed, with crystal clear blue water gently lapping against the beach. The three island settlements are all located on the western side, at Kooringal in the south, Cowan in the middle and northern Bulwer.
The traditional owners of the Moreton Bay region were the Ngugi people. The Aboriginal name for Tangalooma means 'where fishes meet'. Moreton Island is called ‘Moorgumpin' meaning ‘place of sandhills'. Captain James Cook named ‘Morton Bay' in 1770 after the Scottish Earl of Morton, which was later misspelled as ‘Moreton Bay' in translations from his journals.