North Stradbroke Island, Queensland © Tourism and Events Queensland
Guide to North Stradbroke Island
- Getting to North Stradbroke Island
- When to visit
Head to North Stradbroke Island, the world’s second-largest sand island, to relax and enjoy the laid-back local lifestyle.
North Stradbroke Island ('Straddie' to locals) has a retro, laid-back vibe. Hit the beach, delve into the island’s fascinating history and hike to whale-watching lookouts. And with kangaroos hopping around the island, this is a true Aussie adventure.
Fly into Brisbane Airport (BNE) on an international or domestic flight.
Once you are in Brisbane there are just two steps to getting to North Stradbroke Island.
1. Getting to Toondah Harbour (Cleveland)
- Drive 30km (19mi) from Brisbane CBD
- Or catch the 1 hour train from Central station to Cleveland station and catch the bus to the harbour.
Once you are on the island, getting around is easy with reliable private transport, bike hire, taxi service and car hire options available. We suggest planning and booking ahead of your arrival.
The months between May and November are the most idyllic times to visit North Stradbroke island. During this time the sun is shining and the activities on offer are in full swing. You will also spot the whales migrating to the north to breed.
- High season: Summer (December to February)
- Low season: Winter (June to August)
- Don’t miss: Island Vibe Festival (October)