Shoalhaven, New South Wales © Tourism Australia
Guide to Shoalhaven
- Getting to Shoalhaven
- When to visit
Visitors to the Shoalhaven are spoilt for choice. Here’s how to make the best of this region of diverse attractions.
Head south of Sydney to find captivating cultural experiences, migrating whales and an incredible regional arts scene centred around the subterranean Bundanon art museum. There are also 100 beautiful beaches (including the 16 white-sand beaches of Jervis Bay), picturesque bush walks and delicious food and wine to discover along the scenic coastline of southern New South Wales.
Shoalhaven is easy to get to due to its close proximity to Sydney and Canberra, each less than a three-hour drive to the region.
- Sydney International and Domestic Airport (SYD) is 144km (89mi) from Berry. The most northern town in Shoalhaven.
- Canberra International and Domestic Airport (CBR) is 222km (138mi) from Jervis bay, the easternmost point of Shoalhaven.
- Hire cars, taxi, and transfer options are available at either airport.
The best time to travel to Shoalhaven is during summer, when the weather is at its warmest, and the towns come alive! This is a popular coastal destination for families, so avoid the crowds in the summertime by traveling outside of the school holidays.
- High season: Summer (December to February)
- Low season: Winter (June to August)