Kuranda, Queensland © Tourism Tropical North Queensland
Guide to Kuranda
- Getting to Kuranda
- When to visit
A picturesque mountain retreat surrounded by rainforest, Kuranda makes a great day trip from Cairns.
Only 25km (16mi) from Cairns, Kuranda is a charming village with an off-the-beaten-track feel. It’s the perfect place to interact with Queensland’s wildlife, feel the spray of thundering waterfalls and glide above the rainforest canopy in a cable car. Plus, local Indigenous culture and eclectic markets make Kuranda a place where surprises lie around every corner.
Kuranda is easy to reach, especially from Cairns. If you have a car, it's just a 35-minute drive. Or, for a super unique experience, take a one-way trip on the Kuranda Scenic Railway train journey, and return to Cairns on the Skyrail Rainforest Cableway (or vice-versa!).
- Cairns Airport (CNS) is 28km (17mi) from Kuranda and services international and domestic arrivals
- Car hire, taxis, rideshares and transfers are available to book prior to your arrival, or on the day
Kuranda’s climate is marked by a wet season (November to March) and a dry season (April to October), though the temperature remains consistently warm year-round. Summer is one of the best times to visit Kuranda, as the rainforests around Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef are at their peak with gushing waterfalls and rivers.
- High season: Winter (June to August)
- Low season: Summer (December to February)
- Don’t miss: The beautiful Barron Falls at its most dramatic in autumn (March to May)