Byron Bay, NSW © Destination NSW

Byron Bay, New South Wales © Destination NSW

How to get a third year Working Holiday visa

Third year Australian Working Holiday visa FAQ

In recent years, changes to the Working Holiday program have made it even easier to work and play the Aussie way, with working holiday makers now able to extend their stay for a third year. 

Citizens of most countries will need to complete six months of specified work during their second year to be eligible.

There are a few requirements if you want to extend your visa for a third year. The first requirement is that you hold, or have previously held, a Working Holiday Maker visa (subclass 417 or subclass 462). Another important requirement for citizens of most countries is that you complete six months of 'specified work' during your second year to qualify. 

Specified work refers to employment completed in an industry and location outlined by the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs. Because specified work takes place outside of Australia's major cities, it's often called 'farm work' or 'regional work.' Popular second and third-year visa jobs including fruit picking and packing, fishing, pearling and construction.

The work that counts toward your required six months of specified work depends on your visa, so check the Home Affairs website to find out more.

You’ll need to apply for your third Working Holiday Maker visa online using an ImmiAccount. Just like your first and second-year visas, you'll need to provide all the necessary documentation, such as your passport, and pay the visa cost of AUD $510. If required, you’ll also need to provide proof of completing your six months of specified work. Attach evidence such as pay slips, bank statements, piece rate agreements, group certificates, payment summaries, tax returns and employer references.

Seek out the most up to date information regarding visas and the Working Holiday Maker program on the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs website.