Yarra Valley, Victoria © Visit Victoria
Guide to the Yarra Valley and Dandenong Ranges
- Getting to the Yarra Valley
- When to visit
Be swept away by the gorgeous scenery and indulgent adventures of the Yarra Valley and Dandenong Ranges.
Lush forests, cascading vineyards and charming townships are all part and parcel of this lovely corner of Victoria. Taste regional flavours in the restaurants, wineries, distilleries and breweries that dot the area and discover quaint villages with vibrant art scenes. It's also home to the serenity of exquisitely manicured gardens, towering forests and misty waterfalls. You'll return home with a collection of outstanding cool-climate wine and a strong connection to wonderous Australian nature.
The Yarra Valley is an easy 1.5-hour drive from Melbourne, while the Dandenong Ranges sit a 40-min drive south of the Yarra. Fly to Melbourne and hire a car, or join a guided tour and leave the driving to someone else.
- Melbourne Airport (MEL) is located 58km (36mi) from the region and services international and domestic arrivals
- Avalon Airport (AVA) is located 96km (59 mi) from the region and services domestic arrivals
- Car hire and private transfer services are available from both airports
The end of spring or early summer is the best time of year to visit Yarra Valley and Dandenong Ranges. The weather at this time is drier and the region is bustling with locals and tourists making the most of the festivals and events.
- High season: Summer (November to January)
- Low season: Winter (June to August)
- Don’t miss: Shedfest, a celebration of the Yarra's small wineries (February)