Scenic Rim, Queensland © Tourism and Events Queensland
Guide to the Scenic Rim
- Getting to the Scenic Rim
- When to visit
A ring of dramatic mountain ranges and World Heritage-listed rainforests circling farmland valleys, Queensland’s Scenic Rim is an easy drive from Brisbane and the Gold Coast.
Straddling an ancient volcanic caldera in the lush hinterland of south-east Queensland, the Scenic Rim is home to the northernmost sections of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage area. Bushwalking trails in the six national parks here lead to natural rock pools, waterfalls, lookouts and ridges with sweeping views of distant peaks, while the valleys nestled within the ring of mountain ranges are dotted with charming country towns. After a day spent immersed in natural beauty, relax at one of the region’s luxury lodges and enjoy the delicious produce of the valley’s fertile food bowl with one of the tasty local wines.
The Scenic Rim is around 80km (50mi) or one hour’s drive from both Brisbane and the Gold Coast in south-east Queensland.
- Brisbane Airport (BNE); international and domestic arrivals
- Gold Coast Airport (OOL); international and domestic arrivals
- Hire cars and shuttle services are available from both airports and in each city.
There are no public transport services across the Scenic Rim, so you’ll need your own car or rely on local tour operators to explore the region.
If you plan on walking the Scenic Rim Trail, the best time to visit is from mid-autumn, around April, through to early spring, September, when it’s cooler and less humid. The mountains can be chilly at night, so pack warm layers and a rain jacket at any time of the year. The Scenic Rim has a subtropical climate, so expect hot, humid days and occasional thunderstorms in the warmer months.
- High season: Winter and early spring (June to September)
- Low season: Late spring to early autumn (November to March)
- Don’t miss: The annual Scenic Rim Eat Local Week, which celebrates the region’s food and wine in late June and early July