Latest information on the coronavirus (COVID-19)
- On 11 March, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak a global pandemic.
- Australia has in place strict measures aimed at protecting Australians and visitors to our country from the coronavirus.
- These measures are rapidly changing as the situation evolves so we strongly encourage you to consult official sources for the latest information.
International travel to Australia
- At the current time, only Australian citizens, residents and immediate family members are permitted to travel to Australia.
- New Zealand citizens who live in Australia as Australian residents are also permitted to travel to Australia, as are New Zealanders transiting to New Zealand.
- All travellers arriving in Australia are now required to self-isolate in a designated facility (such as a hotel) for 14 days in their port of arrival.
- For details visit the Australian Border Force website.
- Further advice for travellers is also available here.
Domestic Travel Restrictions
Australia is slowly re-opening. The Australian Government has outlined a national three step plan to relax restrictions imposed to contain the coronavirus. Travel and social distancing restrictions won’t be immediately lifting everywhere, though, with each state and territory moving forward at a pace that best suits their own individual circumstances.
Click here to find out where you can holiday.
Airports, flights and cruise ships
- All Australian airports remain open however Australians are restricted from travelling overseas. There are also major restrictions on incoming travellers and disruptions to flight schedules.
- Cruise ships from foreign ports are temporarily banned from arriving at Australian ports.
- You should contact your travel agent, or airline and visit the Smartraveller website for the most up-to-date information.
Where can I get more information about the coronavirus?
- For the latest health information about the coronavirus in Australia visit the Department of Health.
- To learn more about coronavirus support from the Australian Government including financial support and advice for businesses and employees and advice on domestic and international travel visit Australia.gov.au.
- Download the official government “Coronavirus Australia” app in the Apple App Store or Google Play, or join the WhatsApp channel on iOS or Android.