Coral Coast, Western Australia © Tourism Western Australia
Guide to the Coral Coast
- Getting to the Coral Coast
- When to visit
World Heritage wonders, landscapes bathed in vibrant colour and otherworldly wildlife encounters – there’s a breathtaking experience around every corner of the Coral Coast.
Just when you think your holiday can’t get better, the Coral Coast delivers yet another mind-boggling moment. Spanning over 1,100km (680mi) across Western Australia, this colourful coastline is home to white sand beaches, oceans painted with azure blue hues, rugged red outback desert and the world’s longest fringing reef. Swim alongside rare wildlife, road trip through dazzling displays of wildflowers and marvel at the true wonders of nature. In every direction, you’ll find unique experiences that can only be had in this corner of the world.
The Coral Coast stretches from Cervantes (two hours north of Perth) all the way up to Exmouth, 1100km (680mi) to the north. For adventurous travellers, it makes for an epic road trip, but it's also possible to do smaller sections of the stunning region by flying into a local airport. If you do fly, car hire is the easiest way to get around.
- Perth Airport (PER) is 207km (129mi) south of Cervantes; international and domestic arrivals.
- Geraldton Airport (GET) in Geraldton is a one-hour flight from Perth; domestic arrivals only.
- Learmonth Airport (LEA) in Exmouth is a two-hour flight from Perth; domestic arrivals only.
- Carnarvon Airport (CVQ) in Carnarvon is just over a two-hour flight from Perth; domestic arrivals only.
- Shark Bay Airport (MJK) in Monkey Mia is a two-hour flight from Perth; domestic arrivals only.
- Hire car is available at each airport, but advanced bookings are recommended.
The best time to visit the Coral Coast is between the months of March and October thanks to favourable weather and a number of exciting seasonal activities that are happening during this time.
- High season: Summer (November to February)
- Low season: Winter (June to August)
- Don't miss: The carpet of colourful wildflowers that blooms from July to September.