Sand Dune Adventures at Stockton Beach, Port Stephens, NSW © Tourism Australia

Sand Dune Adventures, Stockton Beach, Port Stephens, NSW © Tourism Australia

Working Holiday Visa FAQ

Frequently asked questions

In addition to being a great way to fund your travels, there are a range of personal and professional benefits to doing the Working Holiday Maker (WHM) program.

A gap year is an incredible opportunity for self-discovery, growth and learning. As you travel, you'll meet new people, learn about new cultures and develop new skills and interests.

The Working Holiday Maker program has two types of visas: Working Holiday visa (Subclass 417) and Work and Holiday visa (Subclass 462) depending on your country of residence. See below for lists of countries eligible for each visa.

These types of visas allow you to stay and work in Australia in all types of full-time, part-time, casual and shift work for up to 12 months. Voluntary work is also allowed. You can study for a maximum of four months in Australia in addition to working during your holiday.

The Working Holiday Maker program is not suitable for those seeking permanent employment or full-time study in Australia. If your primary reason for coming to Australia is to seek employment or study, you should enquire about a business visa or student visa which may better suit your needs.

Read the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs visa requirements carefully to determine your eligibility and obligations before you apply. There is a non-refundable charge when you lodge your visa application.

Apply for the Work and Holiday visa (Subclass 462) if you hold a passport from:
Argentina, Austria, Ecuador, Chile, China, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Peru, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Uruguay, the USA and Vietnam.

Apply for the Working Holiday visa (Subclass 417) if you hold a passport from:
Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan and the UK.

Arrangements are regularly negotiated with other countries, so check the Department of Home Affairs website for the latest updates.

The Australian Working Holiday visa is open to applicants aged between 18 and 30 (18 to 35 in some cases). Check working holiday age limits and eligibility on the Department of Home Affairs website.

The Working Holiday visa application requires identity documents such as your passport and financial evidence that proves you have the funds to stay in Australia, usually AUD $5,000. You'll need to meet certain health and character requirements, and you may also be asked to provide a police certificate. All documents must be in English, and any scan or photograph of documents must be clear and in colour. See the most up-to-date document checklists for the Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) and Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) for more information.

It costs AUD $635 to apply for an Australian Working Holiday visa, though the price can change at any time. Check the price for the Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) and Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) before applying.

After you have collected all the necessary documentation, it doesn’t take long to complete the application. Give yourself a few hours to ensure you complete the application accurately. Learn more about the application process for the Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) and the Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) before applying.

Processing times vary. Most applications will be processed within 14 days. Check the latest processing times for the Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) and the Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) on the Home Affairs website.

Yes. You can leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid.

Your first Working Holiday visa lasts for 12 months. However, there are options to stay for two or even three years on your working holiday. In most cases,  you will need to complete regional or farm work specified by the Australian Government. Learn more about specified work for the Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) and Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462).

If you wish to stay longer and continue your working holiday, you may be able to apply for a second Working Holiday visa which will allow you to stay for an extra 12 months.

To be eligible to apply, you must hold or have previously held a Working Holiday (subclass 417 or subclass 462) visa and, in most cases, you must have completed three months of specified work in regional areas of Australia while on your first Working Holiday visa. Find out whether this applies to you and check to ensure the work you are undertaking and the regional area of Australia is eligible under the guidelines, as specified work eligibility differs between subclass 417 and subclass 462 visas.

You can apply for a second Working Holiday Maker visa either while you still have your first visa or at a later date. Find out more information about applying for a second Working Holiday visa (Subclass 417) or a second Work and Holiday visa (Subclass 462).

There are a few conditions, but the most important is that in most cases, you’ll need to complete six months of specified work during your second year to qualify. You can check if this applies to you and see the list of requirements for specified work under Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visas here and Working Holiday (subclass 417) visas here.

The Australian Government has strict laws regarding employment of non-citizens and penalties for breaking the law. Don’t try to work without the right visa. If your Working Holiday visa expires and you have not left Australia or applied for another visa, you could risk being detained and possibly removed. You may also not be allowed to return to Australia for a period of time.

There are other visa options if you wish to stay temporarily or permanently in Australia at the end of your working holiday.

Find the most up to date information regarding visas and the Working Holiday Maker program on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Note: Tourism Australia is not the Australian government visa granting authority . The visa granting authority is the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs. For up-to-date information, please refer to their website:

The content on this page is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Please consult with an Australian qualified immigration lawyer or migration agent if you are seeking legal advice.