Twelve Apostles, Great Ocean Road, Victoria
Guide to the Great Ocean Road
- Getting to the Great Ocean Road
- When to visit
Experience the rugged beauty along the south-west coast of Victoria by setting off along one of the world’s most scenic coastal drives.
The spectacular Great Ocean Road hugs the seaside cliffs that snake along the wild and windswept Southern Ocean. The striking vistas along the iconic road evoke awe with craggy cliffs, empty beaches and soaring bluffs flanked by brilliant green countryside. Add epic surf, native wildlife, unforgettable hiking and biking trails and you will find plenty of things to see and do around every curve.
Located just over a one-hour drive from Melbourne is Torquay, The Great Ocean Road’s official starting point. To get to here, fly into Melbourne Airport or Avalon Airport and hire a car for an epic self-drive tour. If you don't feel like driving, there are coaches and tour experiences available to pre-book from Melbourne.
- Melbourne Airport (MEL) is located 110km (68mi) from Torquay; domestic and international arrivals
- Avalon Airport (AVL) is located 49km (30mi) from Torquay; domestic and international arrivals
- Hire car options are available at both airports and in central Melbourne
The Great Ocean Road is a scenic experience all year round. However, the best time to drive is during summer as the skies are clear, and you can see the winding cliff faces along the shoreline.
- High season: Summer (December to February)
- Low Season: Winter (June to August)